Albany Southwest Georgia Regional Airport (ABY) has a rich history spanning over 90 years. It was originally opened in 1929 as Turner Airfield, built by the city of Albany and named after local businessman W.H. Turner. The airfield was used for commercial flights and private aircrafts, as well as military training in World War II. In 1950, the airport was renamed Mathis Field after World War II veteran Major General Horace M. Mathis. During the 1950s and 1960s, the airport underwent several renovations, including the addition of a new terminal building and runway expansions to accommodate larger aircrafts. In 1998, it became known as Albany Southwest Georgia Regional Airport to reflect its role in serving both the local community and travelers from all over Southwest Georgia.
Today, ABY operates more than 50 daily flights to various destinations including Atlanta, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Charlotte and Orlando with connections to other major cities across the US through its hub carriers Delta Air Lines and American Airlines. The airport also offers a variety of services such as car rental agencies onsite and a variety of shops and restaurants within the terminal building for travelers’ convenience. ABY continues to be an important part of Southwest Georgia’s transportation network with plans to expand its facilities even further in order to better serve passengers from across the region and beyond.
ABY is the abbreviation code for Albany Southwest Georgia Regional Airport. According to Abbreviation Finder, ABY can also mean:
Albany, GA Airport (ABY)
The Albany Southwest Georgia Regional Airport is a small airport that is located near the city of the same name in the US state of Georgia.
- URL: Albany, GA (ABY)
- Time zone: GMT -5
- Service phone: +1 229 430-5175
- Address: SW GA Regional Airport, 3905 Newton Road, Suite, 100, Albany, GA 31701-7356, USA
- Operator: City of Albany
- Parking: Yes, chargeable, short and long-term parking, but the first 30 minutes are free.
- Transport links: The airport is located directly on State Road 91 from Albany to Newton.
- Train connections: The closest possible Amtrak station is about 130 kilometers further south in Tallahassee, from where there is a connection to the “Sunset Limited”, which runs from Orlando to Los Angeles.
- Flight distribution on the days of the week: Monday (14.62%), Tuesday (14.67%), Wednesday (14.62%), Thursday (14.62%), Friday (14.91%), Saturday (10.98%), Sunday (15.59%)
- other spellings: Albany-GA, Олбани (Джорджия), ألباني -جورجيا, 奧 班尼 – 佐治亚 州, オ ー ル バ ニ – ジ ョ ー ジ ア 州
Top airlines (share of take-offs / landings)
- Korean Air Lines (31, 19.14%)
- KLM (31, 19.14%)
- Westjet (31, 19.14%)
- Virgin Atlantic Airways (23, 14.20%)
- Royal Brunei Airlines (12, 7.41%)
- Delta Air Lines (10, 6.17%)
- Other (14.8%)
The airport is located approximately 5 kilometers southwest of downtown Albany. Drivers coming from outside the city should drive from Albany on State Road 91 towards Newton and just follow the signs to the airport.