Asheville Regional Airport (AVL) is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina and has been serving the region since 1961. It was originally called Asheville Municipal Airport and was built to serve the small mountain communities of Madison, Haywood, Buncombe, and Henderson counties. The airport quickly grew in size and popularity due to its convenient location close to downtown Asheville.
In 1966, the newly-formed Asheville-Buncombe County Airport Authority purchased the airport from the City of Asheville for $2 million. The Authority then worked to expand and improve the airport with a new terminal building opening in 1971. This new terminal featured two jetways for larger planes, improved customer service areas, and a modern control tower. In addition to these improvements, AVL also added more runways and taxiways over time as well as an instrument landing system that allowed pilots to land during low visibility conditions.
In recent years, AVL has seen an influx of travelers due to its convenient location near popular destinations such as Biltmore Estate and Great Smoky Mountains National Park. This increase in traffic has led to further improvements at the airport including additional parking lots, expanded security checkpoint areas, more gates for international arrivals, a renovated baggage claim area, and improved amenities such as restaurants and shops within the terminal building. Today AVL serves nearly two million passengers annually making it one of the busiest airports in North Carolina.
- Acadèmia Valenciana de La Llengua
- Achat, Vente, Location
- Active Vendor List
- Adelson-Velskii and Landis
- Alabama Virtual Library
- Allied Van Lines
- Amaury et Roselyne Van Lidth
- Annos Vixit Quinquaginta
- Application Version List
- Approved Vendor List
- Aroostook Valley Railroad Company
Asheville Regional Airport, NC Airport (AVL)
The Asheville Regional Airport is the main air transport hub in the County of Buncombe County, of the US state of North Carolina is located in the far west.
It lies below the provincial capital of the same name in the subsequent municipality of Fletcher. Asheville Regional is the closest possible destination airport, especially for tourists and visitors to the two nearby national parks, Great Smoky Mountain and Blue Ridge Parkway.
- URL: Asheville Regional Airport, NC (AVL)
- Time zone: GMT -5
- Service phone: +1 828 684-2226
- Address: Asheville Regional Airport, 61 Terminal Drive, Fletcher, NC 28732, USA
- Operator: Asheville Regional Airport Authority
- Parking: Yes, for a fee; Short and long-term parking spaces, but the first 20 minutes are free.
- Accessibility: Take Interstate 26 to Exit # 40 and then follow the signs to the parking lots.
- Train connections: The nearest possible Amtrak Rail Station is about 50 kilometers further southeast in Spartanburg / South Carolina, from where there is a connection to the “Crescent”, which runs from New York to New Orleans.
- Flight distribution on the days of the week: Monday (14.89%), Tuesday (12.96%), Wednesday (14.03%), Thursday (14.73%), Friday (14.83%), Saturday (13.25%), Sunday (15.31%)
- other spellings: Эшвилл, Ешвил, اشویل, آشفيل, אשוויל, ア シ ュ ビ ル, 阿什维尔, 阿什維爾, 애쉬 빌
Favorite destinations from Asheville Regional Airport, NC (flights per week)
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport, NC (63, 24.51%)
- Atlanta International Airport (63, 24.51%)
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, FL (23, 8.95%)
- Washington DC – Dulles International Airport, DC (18.7.00%)
- New York – Newark Liberty International Airport, NJ (14, 5.45%)
- St Petersburg – Clearwater International Airport (13, 5.06%)
- Orlando Sanford International Airport (11, 4.28%)
- Dallas – Fort Worth International Airport, TX (8, 3.11%)
- Manchester – Boston Regional Airport, NH (8, 3.11%)
- Philadelphia International Airport, PA (8, 3.11%)
- Other (10.91%)
Top airlines (share of take-offs / landings)
- American Airlines (162, 18.37%)
- Allegiant Air (126, 14.29%)
- Aeroméxico (95, 10.77%)
- Virgin Atlantic Airways (62, 7.03%)
- KLM (57, 6.46%)
- United Airlines (57, 6.46%)
- Air France (55, 6.24%)
- Delta Air Lines (54, 6.12%)
- Westjet (46, 5.22%)
- Korean Air Lines (32, 3.63%)
- Other (15.41%)
The airport is 14 kilometers south of Ashville, just off Interstate 26 and across from the town of Fletcher. Motorists arriving from outside the city should take Interstate 26 to Exit # 40 (Asheville Regional Airport) and then follow the signs to the parking lots.
From the Asheville Transit Center in Downtown bus route # 6 runs every day of the public transport company Asheville Transit to the airport. Please inquire about the current departure times on site.