Tucson International Airport was established in 1928, when the city of Tucson purchased 640 acres of land near Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. The airport was initially used by the military for training purposes, but it wasn’t until 1940 that commercial flights began operating out of Tucson. By 1950, the airport had grown to include two runways and a terminal building. In the 1950s and 1960s, the airport saw significant growth as several airlines began offering service to cities across the country. During this time, many improvements were made to the airport including a new control tower and additional runways. By 1970, Tucson International Airport had become one of the top ten busiest airports in the United States with over 6 million passengers traveling through its gates each year. In 1978, a new terminal was built that featured restaurants, shops and other amenities for travelers. The terminal underwent several renovations in subsequent years in order to keep up with growing passenger numbers. Today, Tucson International Airport serves over 9 million passengers annually and is one of Arizona’s most important transportation hubs.
TUS is the abbreviation code for Tucson International Airport. According to Abbreviation Finder, TUS can also mean:
- Tactical Unmanned System
- Technicien d’Usinage
- Technology Update Seminar
- Temperature Uniformity Survey
- The Usual Suspects
- Tipta Uzmanlik Sinavi
- Tisfoon Ulterior Systems
- Tobacco Use Supplement
Tucson, AZ Airport (TUS)
The Tucson International Airport is adjacent to Phoenix Sky Harbor ‘s second largest commercial airport in the US state of Arizona. Tucson is the county seat of the southern administrative district of Pima County, which borders directly on the neighboring state of Mexico.
- Time zone: GMT -7
- Service phone: +1 520 573- 8100
- Address: Tucson International Airport, 7250 South Tucson Boulevard, Tucson, Arizona 85756, USA
- Operator: Tucson Airport Authority
- Parking: Yes, chargeable, short-term and long-term parking
- Nearby cities: Tucson (12 km), Heroica Nogales (87 km)
- How to get there: In Tucson, either take I-19 to Exit # 95 or I-10 to Exit # 267 and then continue on Valencia Road following airport signs.
- Train connections: Take the “Sunset Limited” or the “Texas Eagle” line to the Tucson Amtrak Rail Station and then change to the Sun Tran airport bus.
- Flight distribution on the days of the week: Monday (14.59%), Tuesday (13.95%), Wednesday (14.56%), Thursday (14.44%), Friday (15.22%), Saturday (12.30%), Sunday (14.94%)
- other spellings: توسن ، أريزونا, 圖 森, ทู ซอน, 图 森 (亚利桑那 州), ツ ー ソ ン, טוסון, 투산, Тусон, Туксон, шт. Аризона (США), ტუსონი, توكسون
Most popular destinations from Tucson, AZ (flights per week)
- Los Angeles International Airport, CA (69, 15.16%)
- Phoenix – Sky Harbor International Airport (57, 12.53%)
- Dallas – Fort Worth International Airport, TX (54, 11.87%)
- Denver International Airport, CO (48, 10.55%)
- San Diego – Lindberg Field International, CA (29, 6.37%)
- Las Vegas – McCarran International Airport, NV (26, 5.71%)
- San Francisco International Airport, CA (25, 5.49%)
- Salt Lake City International Airport, UT (24, 5.27%)
- San Jose International, CA (16, 3.52%)
- Houston – George Bush Intercontinental Airport, TX (16, 3.52%)
- Other (20.01%)
Top airlines (share of take-offs / landings)
- Southwest Airlines (372, 18.10%)
- Alaska Airlines (192, 9.34%)
- British Airways (125, 6.08%)
- Air Canada (112, 5.45%)
- EVA Airways (104, 5.06%)
- Virgin Atlantic Airways (94, 4.57%)
- Aeroméxico (86, 4.18%)
- KLM (78, 3.80%)
- Lufthansa (65, 3.16%)
- American Airlines (62, 3.02%)
- Other (37.24%)
The airport is located approx. 14 kilometers south of downtown. It can be reached, for example, via the Interstate Highway # 10 at exit # 267 (Valencia Road), or via the Interstate Highway # 19 at exit # 95 (Valencia Road).
Bus routes # 6 and 11 of the local public transport company Sun Tran Transit run regularly between the Tucson Amtrak Rail Station or the Roy Laos Transit Center in downtown and the terminal. You can find out the current departure times on site.