50 Examples of computer acronyms
Acronyms are the words formed from parts of other
words, that is, by initials, word fragments or abbreviations. The
meaning of the acronym is the sum of the meanings of the words that
The difference between abbreviations and acronyms is
that acronyms are a word in itself, that is, it can be pronounced by
reading it straight. For example, UN is formed by the initials of
"Organization of the United Nations" but is read as a single word. On
the contrary, "DNA" does not form a word, since when saying it, each
letter must be pronounced separately, that is, it is not an acronym.
Computer science is the science and technique that
allows processing and transmitting data in digital format. Like any
science, it has its own specific lexicon. Most computer terms are used
globally in English, so acronyms and acronyms are an important tool to
allow speakers of other languages to convey the same concepts, but
also to say concepts easily and quickly. complex. For example: ARP,
Modem, PIX, Yast.
Examples of computer acronyms
- ABAP. Advanced Business Application
Programming, in Spanish: Advanced Programming for Management
Applications. It is a type of fourth generation language that is
used to program most SAP products.
- ABEL. Advanced Boolean Expression Language, in
Spanish: advanced Boolean expression language.
- ACID. Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation
Durability, that is: atomicity, consistency, isolation and
durability. It is a characteristic of parameters that are used to
classify transactions in database management.
- ACIS. It is a modeler that works as a geometry
engine for three-dimensional modeling. It was created by Spatial
- ADO. ActiveX Data Objects. It is a set of
objects that allows access to data resources.
- AES. Advanced Encryption Standard, ie Advanced
- APIC. Advanced Programmable Interrupt
Controler, that is, it is an advanced interrupt controller.
- ALGOL. Algorithmic Language, that is,
- ARIN. American Registry for Internet Numbers,
is a regional registry for all Anglo-Saxon America, including
islands of the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean.
- API. Application Programming Interface, that
is, application programming interface.
- APIPA. Automatic Private Internet Protocol
Addressing. It is the automatic private addressing of the Internet
- ARCNET. Attached Resource Computer Network. It
is a local area network architecture. This network uses an access
technique called token passing.
- ARP. Address Resolution Protocol, that is,
address resolution protocol.
- BIOS. Basic Input Output System, in Spanish
“basic input and output system”.
- Bit. Acronym for binary digit, binary digit.
- BOOTP. Bootstrap Protocol, is a bootstrap
protocol used to obtain an IP address automatically.
- CAD. Digital analog conversion.
- EXPENSIVE. Computer Antivirus Research
Organization, that is to say “ computer antivirus research
organization ”. It is a group that studies computer viruses.
- CeCILL. It comes from the French “CEA CNRS
INRIA Logiciel Libre” and is a French license for free software that
is applicable to both French and international laws.
- CODASYL. Conference on Data Systems
Languages. It is a consortium of computer industries founded in 1959
to regulate the programming language.
- DAO. Data Access Object, ie data access
- DIMM. Dual in-line memory module, are memory
modules with dual contacts.
- EUPHORIA. End user programming with
hierarchical objects for robust interpreted applications, is a
- FAT. File allocation table, that is, file
- lives. Linux video editing system. It is a
video editing system that was created for Linux but is used on most
systems and platforms.
- MAN. Metropolitan Area Network is a
metropolitan area network, that is, a high-speed network with wide
- modem. Acronym for Modulator Demodulator. In
Spanish it is “modem”. It is a device that converts digital signals
to analog (modulator) and analog signals to digital (demodulator).
- PIX. Private Internet eXchange is a Cisco
model of firewall equipment that includes an embedded operating
- PoE. Power over Ethernet is power over
- RAID. Redundant Array of Independent Disks,
which means "redundant set of independent disks".
- REXX. Restructures eXtended
executor. Programming language that is used in numerous
applications, easy to understand and easy to read.
- R.I.M. _ It is an acronym in Spanish that means
“municipal wireless networks”.
- VPN / VPN. In Spanish virtual private network
and in English Virtual Private network.
- SIMM. Single in-line memory module, that is, a
simple online ram memory module format.
- SIMPLE. In English this word means “simple”,
just like in Spanish, but it is also the acronym for Session
Initiation Protocol for Instant Messaging an Presence Leveragins
Extensions, and it is an instant messaging protocol.
- SIPP. Single in-line pin package. It is a
printed circuit (module) where a series of RAM memory chips are
- SISC. Simple Instruction Set Computing. It is
a type of microprocessor capable of processing tasks in parallel.
- SOAP. Single Object Access Protocol is a
standard protocol for two objects to communicate in different
- SPOC. Single point of contact, which in
Spanish means "single point of contact". It refers to the point of
contact between customers and users.
- TWAIN. It is a retroacronym, that is, from a
pre-existing word, speakers imagine what other words it could be an
acronym for. TWAIN is a scanner image acquisition standard. Once
this technology became popular, TWAIN began to be considered as an
acronym for "technology without an interesting name", that is,
technology without an interesting name.
- UDI. UnifiedDisplayInterface. It is a digital
video interface that replaces VGA.
- VESA. Video Electronics Standards Association:
Association for Electronic and Video Standards.
- WAM. Wide area network, which in Spanish means
wide area network.
- Wi-Fi. Wireless local area network, which
means "wireless local area network".
- Xades. XML Advanced Electronic Signatures,
that is, XML advanced electronic signatures. They are extensions
that adapt the XML-Dsig recommendations to the advanced electronic
- Hahax. Open source PHP library. It is used to
generate web applications. Its name is a variation of the acronym
- YAFFS. Yet another flash file system. An
application whose name can be translated as “another flash file
- Yast. Yet another setup tool. It is the name
of an application that can be translated as “Yet another
configuration tool”. The application is used to distribute Linux
- zeroconf. Zero Configuration Networking, that
is, zero configuration network. It is a set of technologies used to
automatically create a computer network.