LOL, OMG, BTW, ASAP and the most used acronyms in English
- You have to see this meme. LOL
- OMG! Are they The Rolling Stones?
- BTW, you have to pay me back
- I need to finish my homework ASAP.
Have you seen the conversations of your children or your nephews and
do not understand the acronyms marked in bold? Do not worry. In this
article we are going to tell you what LOL, OMG, BTW, ASAP and other
English acronyms that are very popular in social networks, blogs, vlogs,
podcasts, text messages and today's daily life mean.
How to choose the best English course for you?Get to know and
download our ebook to know how to choose the best English course and
master a second language.
What is an acronym and what is an acronym?
Both abbreviations and acronyms are formed from the first letters
(sometimes capitalized and sometimes lowercase) of one or more
words. There is a slight difference between the two, the acronym can be
easily read as a word, for example, UN (United Nations Organization),
while the acronym is sometimes difficult to read and has to be read
letter by letter, for example, STPS (Secretariat of Labor and Social
So you will be able to realize that acronyms and acronyms are not
exclusive to texts on the internet, but that we commonly find them in
international organizations, governments, companies, brands, songs,
movies; in short, in all our lives.
Below, we mention the acronyms or acronyms in English that you will
find in different situations.
LOL, OMG, BTW, ASAP and more: what do these acronyms stand
The Internet is full of acronyms. We are sure that you have seen some
of the following in your WhatsApp conversations or on your social
networks. We leave you some of the most popular today with their
translation into Spanish and examples so you can learn how to use them.
- LOL: Laughing Out Loud. Example: I
forgot my swimsuit at home! LOL.
- OMG: Oh My God(Dios mío). Ejemplo: OMG,
I’m your biggest fan!
- BTW: By The Way(By the way). Example: BTW,
you owe me in favor.
- DIY: Do It Yourself(Hazlo tú mismo). Are
you asking a carpenter or will you DIY?
- ASAP: As Soon As Possible(Tan pronto
como sea posible). Ejemplo: I have you finish my homework ASAP.
- TGIF: Thank God It 's Friday(Gracias a
Dios es viernes). Ejemplo: This week has been very hard, but
- IDK: I Don’t Know (No lo sé). Ejemplo: Do
I have to do it? IDK.
- BFF: Best Friends Forever. Example: She
has been my BFF since childhood.
- FYI: For Your Information(Para tu
información). Ejemplo: FYI, I am your teacher now.
- OMW: On my way(En camino). Ejemplo: I’ll
be there at noon, I’m OMW.
- FAQ: Frequently asked questions (Preguntas
frecuentes). Ejemplo: If you have any doubts, please see
- JIC: Just in case(Por si acaso).
Ejemplo: Take this money, JIC you need it.
- NVM: Never mind(No te preocupes/no
importa). Ejemplo: NVM, I can call you back.
- YOLO: You only live once(Solo se vive
una vez). Ejemplo: I’m going to the party tonight, YOLO.
- ICE: In case of Emergency. Example: ICE
- AKA: Also known as. Example: He is
John, AKA the best gamer ever.
- THX: Thanks(Gracias). Ejemplo: I
don’t know what I would do without your help, THX.
- ETA: Estimated time of arrival. Example: His
flight has an ETA at 8: 30.
- FB: Ejemplo: Can you add me on FB?
- DM: Direct Message (en redes sociales).
Ejemplo: I haven’t read your DM, sorry.
- YT: Ejemplo. I always watch your YT videos.
- IGTV: Instagram TV. Ejemplo. I just uploaded
my first IGTV.
- GIYF: Google is Your Friend (Google is your
friend, it refers to the fact that if it had been searched in
Google, it would already be known). Example: Man, GIYF, Google
it and you can find the next gas station.
- XOXO: Acronyms to send kisses and hugs when
saying goodbye. Example: I have to go to my class, XOXO.
- BRB: Be Right Back (Regreso en
seguida). Ejemplo. I forgot my wallet, BRB.
- ROFL: Rolling on Floor Laughing(Ruedo
por el suelo de risa). Ejemplo: Have you watched this channel?
- XD: Representa una risa o carcajada. Ejemplo: I
hid my ID and now I can’t find it XD.
- SMH: Shake my head (Sacúdeme la
cabeza). Ejemplo: He asked me to do his homework, SMH.