Acronyms (noun formed from the prefix acro-, which
means 'extreme', and the suffix –onym, which means 'name') are a type of
noun that can be formed in two different ways:
1. They are terms or names formed from
elements or parts of two or more words. When they are formed
by two words, they are built using the beginning of one word and the end
of the other, for example:
- office automation: acronym
formed by the words office (from which the element ofi is
taken) and informatics (from which the element matic is
When it is formed by three words or more, an element of each of the
words is taken; In general, when it contains prepositions, they are not
taken into account, as is the case with acronyms; for example:
- Mercosur: acronym formed by the words Mercado (from
which the element mer is taken), Common (from
which the element co is taken) and Sur (from which the
element sur is taken). This is an acronym for the Southern
Common Market, a regional integration process founded in 1991.
2. They are acronyms that are pronounced
like a word; that is, they are not pronounced from each of
their letters, as in the case of ONG, which is pronounced as “o ene
ge”. Let's look at some examples:
- UN. Acronym for United Nations Organization.
- AIDS. Acronym for Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome.
- NATO. Acronym for North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- SAT. Acronym for Tax Administration Service.
As for the rules for writing acronyms, as they are
acronyms (initial letters of a complex name) they must be written in
capital letters. Sometimes, due to the use of the acronyms that are
pronounced as acronyms, they become used as words of common use and are
incorporated into the lexicon. When this happens, they are written in
lower case, like any noun, as is the case of UFO (acronym for
Unidentified Flying Object) or the word AIDS (acronym for
Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome).
175 Examples of Acronyms
- ACE. Acronym for Adobe Certified Expert (In
Spanish 'Adobe Certified Expert').
- ADEFOR. Acronym for Civil Association for
- ADEX. Acronym for Exporters Association
- AFE. Acronym for Association of Spanish Soccer
- Agroasemex. Acronym for Mexican Agricultural
- AGROBANK. . Acronym for Agricultural Bank.
- ALADI. Acronym for Latin American Integration
- FTAA. Acronym for Free Trade Area of the
- AMPA. Acronym for Association of Parents of
- AMUCAU. Acronym for Association of Peasant
Women of Ucayali
- ANAM. Acronym for National Association of
- GO. Acronym for National Association of Actors.
- APA. Acronym for American Psychology
- APEC. Acronym for Asia Pacific Economic
Cooperation Forum (because of its name in English Asia Pacific
- ASOREMA. Acronym for National Association of
Non-Governmental Organizations of Natural Resources, Ecology and
- AVE. Acronym for Spanish High Speed.
- Banamex.. Acronym for National Bank of Mexico.
- Bancomer. . Bank of Commerce acronym
- BANRURAL. Acronym for National Bank for Rural
- Banxico.. Bank of Mexico acronym.
- Bit.. Acronym for binary digit, term in
English, which in Spanish means 'binary digit'.
- Brexit: acronym for Britain and exit.
- CATIE. Acronym for Tropical Agricultural
Research and Teaching Center
- CEAMSE. Acronym for Ecological Coordination
- ECSC. Acronym for European Coal and Steel
- CEDEMUN. Acronym for Municipal Development
- CENDI. Acronym for Child Development Center.
- CENT. Acronym for National Center of Education
- CERESO. Acronym for Social Rehabilitation
- IC. Conservation International acronym
- CIA. Acronym for Central Intelligence Agency,
an American institution known in Spanish as the Central Intelligence
- ICD 2010.Acronym for International Statistical
Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 2010.
- CIFORForestry Research Center
- CLIE. Acronym for Statistical Information
Online Capture System.
- COFLACForestry Commission for Latin America and
- COLBACH. Acronym for College of Bachelors
- CONACULT. Acronym for National Council for
Culture and the Arts
- CONACYT. Acronym for National Council for
Science and Technology
- CONAFE. Acronym for National Council for
- CONAFOR. In Mexico, this word is an acronym for
National Forestry Commission
- CONAFOR. In Peru, the National Forest Policy
Consultative Council is known as
- CONALEP. Acronym for National College of
- CONAM. Acronym for National Environmental
- CONAPAAA. Acronym for National Commission of
Andean, Amazonian and Afro-Peruvian Peoples
- CONAP. Acronym for National Council of
- CONAPO. Acronym for National Population
- CONASAMI. Acronym for National Minimum Wage
- CONASUPO. Acronym for National Popular
- CONATRIB. Acronym for National Commission of
Superior Courts of Justice of the United Mexican States.
- CONCACAF. Acronym for Central American and
Caribbean Confederation of Soccer Associations
- CONSFORG. Acronym for National Standards
- CONITE. Acronym for National Investment and
- CORWOOD. Acronym for National Wood Corporation
- CREATE. Acronym for Council for Recreation and
Attention to Youth
- CUD. Acronym for Single Catalog of Crimes.
- DAP. Acronym for Diameter at Chest Height
- OF. Acronym for Statistics Directorate.
- DEI. Acronym for Executive Directorate of
- DICONSA. Distributor Conasupo acronym
- IHRL. Acronym for International Human Rights
- DIFF. Acronym for Family Integration Department
- EDUSAT. Acronym for Educational Television
- ENDFNational Forestry Development Strategy
- EPADEQ. Acronym for Strategic Studies for
Development and Equity.
- FAO. Acronym for Food and Agriculture
Organization of the United Nations
- FEDECOVERA. Acronym for Federation of
Cooperatives of Verapáces
- FEPADE. Acronym for Specialized Prosecutor for
Attention to Electoral Crimes
- FERTIMEX. Acronym for Mexican Fertilizer
- FIFA. Acronym for International Football
- FIFONAFE. Acronym for Trust of the National
Fund for Ejidal Development
- FIPA. Acronym for Institutional Strengthening
in Environmental Policies.
- FIDECINE. Acronym for Film Investment and
- FOPROCINE. Acronym for Quality Film Production
- FLACSO. Acronym for Latin American Faculty of
- FONAM. Acronym for National Environment Fund
- FONCA. Acronym for National Fund for Culture
and the Arts.
- INFONACOT. Acronym for Institute of the
National Fund for Workers' Consumption.
- FONASE. Acronym for National Health Fund, institution of
- FONAPAS. Acronym for National Fund for Social
- FONART. Acronym for National Fund for the
Promotion of the Arts
- FONCODES. Acronym for Community Development
- FONDEBOSQUEForestry Development Promotion Fund
- FONDEN. Acronym for National Fund for Natural
- YEI. Acronym for Institute of Judicial Studies.
- HEIs. Selective Special Tax acronym
- IFE. Acronym for Federal Electoral Institute
- IIAP. Acronym for Research Institute of the
- IJAS. Acronym for Jalisco Institute of Social
- ILCE. Acronym for Latin American Institute of
- IMPI. Acronym for Mexican Institute of
- IMSS. Acronym for Mexican Social Security
- INAPAM. Acronym for National Institute for
- INADEM. Acronym for National Entrepreneur
- INEA. Acronym for National Institute for Adult
- INBA. Acronym for National Institute of Fine
- INCIFO. Acronym for Institute of Forensic
Sciences of the TSJCDMX.
- INE. Acronym for National Electoral Institute.
- INEBAN. Acronym for Institute of Basic and
- INEGI. Acronym for National Institute of
Statistics and Geography.
- INFONAVIT. Acronym for Institute of the
National Fund for Workers' Housing
- INIA. Acronym for National Institute of
- INJUVE. Acronym for National Youth Institute
- INRENA. Acronym for National Institute of
- ISSSTE. Acronym for Institute of Security and
Social Services for State Workers.
- ITAM. Acronym for Autonomous Technological
Institute of Mexico
- ITESM. Acronym for Technological Institute of
Higher Studies of Monterrey
- ITESO.. Acronym for Instituto Tecnológico y de
Estudios Superiores de Occidente, also known as the Jesuit
University of Guadalajara.
- VAT. Value Added Tax acronym
- LICONSA. Acronym for Conasupo Industrialized
Milk (in turn, this word is an acronym for the National Popular
- MAGA. Acronym for Ministry of Agriculture,
Livestock and Food
- MARN. Acronym for Ministry of Environment and
- MEM. Acronym for Ministry of Energy and Mines
- MERCOSUR. Acronym for Common Market of the
- MINFIN. Acronym for Ministry of Public Finance
- MIRNA. Acronym for Project Integrated
Management of the Natural Resources of the Altiplano
- NAFIN. National Financial Acronym
- NASA. Acronym for National Aeronautic and Space
Administration, known in Spanish as the National Aeronautics and
- NOTIMEX. Acronym for Mexican News Agency
- OAS. Acronym for Organization of American
- ITTO. Acronym for International Tropical Timber
- WHO. Acronym for World Health Organization
- UN. Acronym for United Nations Organization.
- PAHO. Acronym for Pan American Health
- OSINFOR. Acronym for Supervisory Body of Timber
- UFO. Acronym for Unidentified Flying Object.
- BREAD. Acronym for National Action Party
- PRI. Acronym for Institutional Revolutionary
- PEMEX. Acronym for Petróleos Mexicanos.
- PINFOR. Acronym for Forest Incentives Program
- PROCAFOR. Acronym for Forestry Program for
- PROCAMP. Acronym for Direct Field Support
- PROCEED. Acronym for Ejidal Rights
- PROFESSIONAL. Acronym for Federal Attorney for
- PROPHECY. Acronym for Federal Consumer
- PROMPEXCommission for the Promotion of Exports
- PRONABES. Acronym for National Scholarship
Program for Higher Education
- PRONAP. Acronym for National Professional
Updating Program for Teachers
- PRONATURE. Acronym for Peruvian Foundation for
the Conservation of Nature
- SME. Acronym for “small and medium business”.
- PROCOMSUR. Acronym for Compensatory Program for
the Training of Human Resources in the South Region
- RAE. Acronym for Royal Spanish Academy.
- SAGAR. Acronym for Ministry of Agriculture,
Livestock and Rural Development
- SAGARPA. Acronym for Ministry of Agriculture,
Livestock, Rural Development, Fisheries and Food
- SECTUR. Acronym for Ministry of Tourism
- SEDENA. Acronym for Secretary of National
- SEDESOL. Acronym for Secretariat of Social
- SEDUE. Acronym for Secretariat of Urban
Development and Ecology
- SEFOTUR. Acronym for Secretary of Tourism
Development of the State Government
- SEF. Acronym for Forest Education System
- SEMARNAP. Acronym for Ministry of the
Environment, Natural Resources and Fisheries
- SEMEFO. Acronym for Forensic Medical Service.
- SEP. Acronym for Secretary of Public Education.
- SESA. Acronym for Ministry of Health
- SICOR. Acronym for Comprehensive System for the
Consultation of Resolutions.
- SIECA. Acronym for Central American Economic
- ALWAYS_ Acronym for Statistical Information
System on Criminal Matters.
- SITEUR. Acronym of Tren Eléctrico Urbano
- SIGAP. Acronym for Guatemalan System of
- STUNAM. Acronym for Workers' Union of the
National Autonomous University of Mexico
- SUNAD. Acronym for National Customs
- ITESM.. Acronym for Monterrey Institute of
Technology and Higher Education.
- TELENAL. Acronym for National Telegraphs
- Muppet. Acronym formed by the words television (from which the
tele element is taken) and doll (from which the ñeco element is
- TELMEX. Mexico Telephone Acronym
- TRIBASA. Acronym for Crushed Basaltic, Limited
- UAEM. Acronym for University of the State of
- UAG. Acronym for Autonomous University of
- UAM. Acronym for Metropolitan Autonomous
- UNALM. Acronym for La Molina National Agrarian
- UNAM. Acronym for National Autonomous
University of Mexico.
- UNESCO. Acronym for United Nations Educational,
Scientific and Cultural Organization, in Spanish known as United
Nations Organization for Education, Science and Culture.
- UNESIRP. Acronym for Special Unit for the
Implementation of the Constitutional Reform in Criminal Matters.
- Unicef. Acronym for United Nations
International Children's Emergency Fund, known in Spanish as the
United Nations International Emergency Fund for Children.
- FONART. Acronym for National Fund for the
Promotion of Crafts.
- Infonavit. Acronym for Institute of the
National Fund for Housing for Workers.