Acronyms in English
The acronyms are the words formed abbreviations of
other words, or by the acronyms of the same.
The meaning of the acronym is formed by the meanings of the words
that comprise it.
In many sources it is found as acronyms acronyms that do not form
words. For example "BMW" is an acronym, not an acronym, since it is not
read directly but is pronounced letter by letter. "UN" on the other hand
is read as a word, so it is an acronym.
At the end of the list of acronyms there is also a list of the most
used acronyms in English.
English acronym examples
- ACE: acronym for Advanced Composition Explorer,
a NASA satellite whose mission is to compare and determine the
composition of different types of matter.
- AIDA: both in English and Spanish is an acronym
that names the effects produced by advertising messages: attention
(attention), interest (interest), desire (desire) and action
- AIDS: is the acronym in English for Acquired
Immune Deficiency Syndrome, that is, Acquired Immune Deficiency
- APA: acronym for American Psychology
Association, that is, American psychological association.
- ASAP: means “as soon as possible”, that is to
say “as soon as possible”. The first a is pronounced "ei" and the
second a is pronounced as in our language.
- Bit: acronym for binary digit, binary digit.
- Brexit: acronym for Britain and exit. That is,
the exit of the United Kingdom from the European Union.
- Emea: acronym for the acronym in English for
Europe, Middle East and Africa, that is, Europe, the Near East and
- Enoch: acronym for the acronym in English for
the Emirates National Oil Company, that is, the Emirates National
- Eula. Acronym for English End user license
Agreement. These licenses only allow the use of a product for a
- Euribor: acronym for Euro Interbank Offered
Rate, that is, the European type of interbank offer.
- FAO: acronym for the acronym in English for
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, that is,
United Nations Organization for Food and Agriculture.
- GIF: It is an acronym for Graphic Interchange
Format, which is a type of visual file. It is pronounced "guif",
although there is widespread confusion about its pronunciation, so
the pronunciation "jif" is also common.
- Laser: acronym for light amplification by
stimulated emission of radiation, that is, light amplification by
stimulated emission of radiation. The laser is a device that
generates a light beam that has two types of coherence: spatial
(remaining small) and temporal (concentrating the emission of a
narrow spectral range).
- Modem– Acronym for Modulator Demodulator. In
Spanish it is “modem”. It is a device that converts digital signals
to analog (modulator) and analog signals to digital (demodulator).
- NASA: acronym formed by the acronym in English
for National Aeronautic and Space Administration, in Spanish:
National Aeronautics and Space Administration. It is an agency of
the United States government responsible for aeronautical and
- Nascar: comes from the acronym in English of
National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, that is, National
Association of Series Automobile Racing.
- NATO: acronym for North Atlantic Treaty
Organization, that is, North Atlantic Treaty Organization. The North
Atlantic Treaty was signed on April 4, 1949, with the aim of
creating a military alliance between France, Belgium, the
Netherlands, Luxembourg, the United Kingdom, the United States,
Canada, Denmark, Iceland, Italy, Norway and Portugal.. Then 16 more
- PIN: acronym formed by the acronym in English
for Personal Identification Number, that is, personal identification
number. Certain systems use it to identify users.
- Radar: acronym that comes from the English
radio detection and raging, that is, detection and measurement of
distances by radio.
- Ram: acronym formed by the acronym in English
for Random Access Memory, that is, random access memory. RAM memory
is working memory, that is, it is not used to permanently store
information but for the operation of the operating system and
- Rar: acronym for Roshal Archive (Roshal
archive). Refers to a compression file format. Its name comes from
its developer, Eugene Roshal.
- Sata: acronym for Serial Advanced Technology
Attachment, is an interface that allows data transfer between the
motherboard and certain storage devices.
- Unesco: acronym for the acronym in English for
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization,
that is, United Nations Organization for Education, Science and
- UNICEF: acronym for the acronym in English for
United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund, that is,
United Nations Children's Fund.
Examples of acronyms in English
- AKA- Used not only in casual chat but also in
official documents such as police records. It means “Also known as”,
that is to say “also known as”.
- BF: boyfriend, that is, boyfriend.
- BRB: stands for Be right back, that is to say
"I'll be right back".
- BTW: “by the way”. It is an expression that is
used when you want to add information slightly related to the topic
being discussed. In Spanish, the analogous expression is “on
- FAQ: stands for Frequently Asked Questions,
that is, frequently asked questions.
- FYI: “for your information”, means “for your
- IDK: means “I don't know”, that is to say “I
- LOL: although in Spanish we read it as “lol”,
in English it is spelled, naming each letter. It means "laughing out
loud", that is, laughing out loud.
- OMG: means "Oh my God", that is to say "Oh, my
- UN: Acronym for United Nations, that is, United
Nations Organization, UN in Spanish.