Cherry Capital Airport – Traverse City has been in operation since the early 1920s. Initially built as a grass strip airport, it began as a commercial airport in 1933 when Northwest Airways purchased the land and began scheduled air service. The first airline to fly out of Cherry Capital Airport was Northwest Airlines with daily service to Chicago, Detroit and Minneapolis. During World War II, the airport was used as a military training base for pilots from the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard. After the war ended, commercial air travel resumed in 1945 with flights to Chicago, Detroit and Milwaukee.
In the 1950s, Cherry Capital Airport underwent several expansions which included building two paved runways, adding new hangars for aircraft storage and constructing a new terminal building. In 1961, Northwest Airlines opened their first jet service from Traverse City to Detroit International Airport, marking the beginning of jet travel at Cherry Capital Airport. Throughout the 1960s and 70s, several additional airlines began offering flights from Traverse City including United Airlines in 1966 and Delta Air Lines in 1972. By 1975 Cherry Capital Airport had become a major hub for air travel in Northern Michigan with daily flights to Chicago O’Hare International Airport and Minneapolis-St Paul International Airport on multiple airlines.
The 1980s saw continued growth at Cherry Capital Airport with additional expansions including construction of another runway and taxiway system that is still active today along with an expansion of the terminal building which now offers over 25 gates for passengers arriving and departing on domestic airlines such as American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines along with regional carriers like Allegiant Air and Sun Country Airlines. In addition to increased passenger traffic there has also been an increase in cargo activity at Cherry Capital Airport making it an important economic driver for Northern Michigan businesses that rely on air freight services for product delivery worldwide daily.
TVC is the abbreviation code for Cherry Capital Airport – Traverse City. According to Abbreviation Finder, TVC can also mean:
- Tag Virtual Circuit
- Tape Volume Cache
- Tax Sheltered Annuity Voluntary Compliance
- Television Centre
- Television Commercial
- Televisió de Catalunya
- Texas Veterans Commission
- The Vermont Connection
- The Veterans Corporation
- The Vienna Circle
- The Vintage Corner
- The Virtual Company
- The Volunteer Center
- Thermal Vacuum Chamber
- Thermal Voltage Converter
- Thrust Vane Control
- Thrust Vector Control
Traverse City, MI Airport (TVC)
The Cherry Capital Airport – Traverse City is an important aviation hub in the US state of Michigan. It is located near Traverse City, a town on Lake Michigan, one of the five great lakes in North America.
- URL: Traverse City, MI (TVC)
- Time zone: GMT -5
- Service phone: +1 231 947-2250
- Address: Traverse City – Cherry Capital Airport, 727 Fly Don´t Drive, Traverse City, MI 49686, USA
- Operator: Grand Traverse County
- Parking: Yes, chargeable, short-term and long-term parking
- How to get there: Take US Highway 31 to Traverse City and look for airport signs.
- Train connections: The nearest possible Amtrak Rail Station is about 220 kilometers further south in Grand Rapids.
- Flight distribution on the days of the week: Monday (14.29%), Tuesday (13.72%), Wednesday (14.07%), Thursday (14.09%), Friday (14.77%), Saturday (14.08%), Sunday (14.98%)
- other spellings: Traverse City-MI, Cherry Capital Airport, Траверс Сити, Траверс Сіті, 트래버스 시티, ト ラ バ ー ス シ テ ィ, 特拉弗斯 城
Most popular destinations from Traverse City, MI (flights per week)
- Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, MI (48, 37.50%)
- Minneapolis – St. Paul International Airport, MN (34, 26.56%)
- Dallas – Fort Worth International Airport, TX (9, 7.03%)
- Denver International Airport, CO (8, 6.25%)
- New York – Newark Liberty International Airport, NJ (8, 6.25%)
- Allentown, PA (7, 5.47%)
- New York – La Guardia Airport, NY (6, 4.69%)
- Atlanta International Airport (4, 3.13%)
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport, NC (1, 0.78%)
- Washington DC – Dulles International Airport, DC (1, 0.78%)
- Other (1.56%)
Top airlines (share of take-offs / landings)
- KLM (106, 17.82%)
- Delta Air Lines (87, 14.62%)
- Virgin Atlantic Airways (75, 12.61%)
- Aeroméxico (64, 10.76%)
- Air France (47, 7.90%)
- United Airlines (42, 7.06%)
- China Southern Airlines (32, 5.38%)
- American Airlines (24, 4.03%)
- Qatar Airways (21, 3.53%)
- Korean Air Lines (16, 2.69%)
- Other (13.6%)
The airport, which opened in 1940, is 3 kilometers east of downtown Traverse City. The best way to get to the airport for drivers coming from outside the airport is to take US Highway 31. Take the highway towards Traverse City to Road 620 (S. Airport Road W.) and then just follow the signs to Parking at the airport.