WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON ABBREVIATIONS IN ENGLISH?
Hello BRITISH friends!
Today we will learn about the abbreviations that you should know in
English, but for them, first of all, we must be clear about what an
An abbreviation is a short version of a word or phrase, the same that
is used in order to save time or space, as well as to avoid repetition
of words. Clarified this point, let 's begin!
The most common abbreviations in English
The most common abbreviations for streets:
- Ave = Avenue(avenue)
- St = Street(calle)
- Blvd = Boulevard(boulevard)
- Rd = Road(street or path)
Titles for people:
- Dr = Doctor(used for doctors and people with doctoral
- Gov = Governor(gobernador).
- Mr = Mister(used for an honorary title for a man).
- Mrs = Missis(used for a married woman or a woman of a
- Miss = Ms(used for miss, for a young woman or for a
woman who is not married).
Common abbreviations for units of measure and distance:
In other countries, kilos, centimeters or kilometers are not used as
units of measurement. Therefore, there is a more elaborate measurement
system with the following:
- Oz = ounces(onzas) Lbs = pounds (libras)
- Ft = feet(pies, en singular, foot)
- In =inches
- Yds = yards(yardas)
- My = thousands (miles)
- Not = number(number)
- Cm= centimeter(centimeter)
- Mph=miles per hour.
Abbreviations used in business:
- Acct= account (cuenta)
- Ad = advertisement(notice)
- Asap =as soon as possible
- Assoc =association
- Co =company
- Corp =corporation
- Dept = department (departamento)
- Inc = incorporated (incorporado)
- Ltd = limited(limited)
- Recd = received (recibido).
- Art = article(article)
- BC= Before Christ(before Christ)
- AD = Anno Domini(after Christ)
- Ed =edition
- Hosp = hospital (hospital)
- Eg = forexample
And that's it! BRITISH lover, don't forget
to share this post with your closest colleagues and friends. You can
write us in the comments or in the inbox of our fanpage on Facebook.