Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport (SAV) is located in Chatham County, Georgia, just off Interstate 95. It is the closest airport to Savannah and the surrounding area, including Hilton Head Island. The airport began operations in 1929 as a private airfield and was owned by the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. After the war ended, the airfield was transferred to civilian control and renamed Savannah-Hilton Head Airport in 1947. In 1953, it was designated an international airport when nonstop flights to Nassau began operating out of SAV. The next major expansion came in 1967 with the opening of a new terminal building that tripled its capacity from 1 million passengers annually to 3 million passengers annually. In 1971, a second runway opened which allowed for larger aircraft to land at SAV and further increased its capacity to 5 million passengers annually by 1976. This expansion included adding more parking spots for both commercial and general aviation aircrafts as well as increasing the number of available gates for boarding passengers. Since then, Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport has continued to grow with various expansions throughout its history such as adding new restaurants and shops, increasing car rental options, providing additional parking spaces for travelers, and more recently constructing a brand new terminal building which opened in 2019.
- Safe Airspace Volume
- Savannah, GA, USA – Travis Field
- Security Assistance Visit
- Self Adhesive Vinyl
- Semi-Annual Vegetation
- Sender Address Verification
- Service Après-Vente
- Site Assistant Visit
- Slovenská Akadémia Vied
- Sophos Anti-Virus
- Source Address Verification
- Source Approval Verification
Savannah, GA Airport (SAV)
The Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport is a major air traffic hub in the US state of Georgia. It is located in the county of Chatham County.
- URL: Savannah, GA (SAV)
- Time zone: GMT -5
- Service phone: +1 912 964-0514
- Address: Savannah Hilton Head Int. Airport, 400 Airways Avenue, Savannah, GA 31408, USA
- Operator: Savannah Airport Commission
- Parking: Yes, chargeable, short and long-term parking, but the first 30 minutes are free.
- Nearby cities: Savannah (11 km)
- Getting there: Take Interstate Highway # 95 to Exit # 104 and then follow the airport signs.
- Train Connections: Take the train to Savannah Amtrak Station, then transfer to CAT Bus Route # 2.
- Flight distribution on the days of the week: Monday (14.73%), Tuesday (13.77%), Wednesday (13.72%), Thursday (14.46%), Friday (14.33%), Saturday (13.99%), Sunday (15.02%)
- other spellings: Savannah-Travis Field, Savannah / Hilton Head, Саванна (Джорджия), Савана (Джорджия), ساوانا ، جورجیا, السافانا, اו, ー (), จอร์เจีย (วัน นา), จอร์เจีย 州 (วัน นา), จอร์เจีย (วัน นา), จอร์เจีย (วัน นา) 서 배너 (조지아 주), 薩 凡 納, 萨 凡 纳
Most popular destinations from Savannah, GA (flights per week)
- Atlanta International Airport (78, 16.88%)
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport, NC (71, 15.37%)
- New York – John F. Kennedy International Airport, NY (40, 8.66%)
- Philadelphia International Airport, PA (27, 5.84%)
- New York – La Guardia Airport, NY (26, 5.63%)
- New York – Newark Liberty International Airport, NJ (26, 5.63%)
- Dallas – Fort Worth International Airport, TX (24, 5.19%)
- Washington DC – Dulles International Airport, DC (24, 5.19%)
- Miami International Airport, FL (16, 3.46%)
- Washington DC – Ronald Reagan National Airport, VA (16, 3.46%)
- Other (24.69%)
Top airlines (share of take-offs / landings)
- American Airlines (254, 11.30%)
- Virgin Atlantic Airways (127, 5.65%)
- Aeroméxico (125, 5.56%)
- Air Canada (124, 5.52%)
- Westjet (120, 5.34%)
- KLM (113, 5.03%)
- Allegiant Air (108, 4.81%)
- Delta Air Lines (96, 4.27%)
- Air France (95, 4.23%)
- Korean Air Lines (95, 4.23%)
- Other (44.06%)
The airport, which opened in 1918, is located 10 kilometers northwest of Savannah. Drivers coming from outside of the city should take Interstate Highway 95 to Exit # 104 and then just follow the signs to the parking lots.
Passengers arriving by train take the train to Savannah Amtrak Station and from there take bus route # 2 operated by the local public transport company Chatham Area Transit (CAT) to the airport.